Sunday, June 27, 2010

Vegan Make-Up: Lipstick & Nail Polish

After watching the Girlie Green video in my last post a few years ago I was utterly shocked and disgusted about the information I learned about makeup. I was especially disturbed about the ingredients that went into making a bottle of nail polish or a tube of lipstick. Most nail polishes contain formaldehyde & toluene which are both very toxic. Formaldehyde is an important ingredient in embalming fluid  and will at the very least make your nails go yellow. Then we have toluene which can be found in both paint thinners and silicone sealants! It horrifies me to think about how many people must be absorbing and ingesting these toxic chemicals into their bodies. As for lipstick most of the brands available contain petroleum jelly and the average women can ingest 2 tubes of lipstick a year which equals about 10 lbs of petroleum jelly in a life time. Petroleum jelly does not leave the body it's just stuck inside you forever. After re-watching the Girlie Green video recently I decided to do some research on natural vegan makeup company's and I focused mostly on lipsticks & nail polishes here are two of the company's I found over at Alternative Outfitters.


No Miss - Vegan Nail Polish is free of  Formaldehyde, Toluene, Dibutyl-Pthalate and Camphor. Each bottle does however contain UV inhibitors to help protect your nails from the sun.


Vegan Make-Up: Nail Polish


Ecco Bello - Flower Colour Lipstick is free off petroleum & FD&C dyes. Each tube is made from a formula of vegetable waxes, oils, and mineral pigments that go on creamy,  moisturize and don't feather.


Vegan Makeup: Lipstick

Image Source & Credit: Alternative Outfitters

2 comments:

jesse.anne.o said...

Ugh!

Have you ever tried No Miss? I got the Priti stuff and it chipped so quickly on both a mani and pedi that I never used it again but I guess I can try it again (and that was with a standard topcoat, too).

I just got liquid liner and lipgloss from Zuzu (via Whole Foods) but they might also fit the bill. This is a link to their lipsticks:
http://www.cosmeticskitchen.com/zuzu-luxe-vegan-lipstick.html

Maybe I'll order online next time, seems to be cheaper than Whole Foods, not surprisingly.

I tried to watch the video but for some reason it crashed my computer so I will have to just imagine!

Melanie said...

I haven't tried either of these products. But I do want to. You should try and watch the video again it's very informative and it's weird that it crashed your computer. Thanks for the link to the lipstick I'll check it out for sure. I've just started to post about makeup/beauty products and I need all the help I can get!